Welcome!

If you are out and about and find an example of real life math,
take a picture or find a link and send it to me at jswope@phil-mont.com
with a short description.

You are welcome to leave helpful comments and suggestions!

Friday, August 13, 2010

M.C. Escher

I don't love writing papers, so when I found out that I would have to write a ten page paper for my history of math class I was less than excited. The only way to make the project more palatable was to write about something that I enjoy and want to learn even more about, which is why I chose the visual artist M.C. Escher.  I was aware of his use of tessellations to create amazing images, but that was the extent of my knowledge.

While writing my paper I learned that M.C. Escher's work was a lot more complex than I had ever imagined.  He used concepts such as infinity, the mobius strip, the Penrose Triangle, impossible objects, hyperbolic geometry and inversion of a circle to create pieces of art that were so much more complex than his initial division of a plane works.  It gave me a knew appreciation for his visual art, but I still don't like writing papers!

You can read my paper here:
M.C. Escher

No comments:

Post a Comment